Sunday, July 15, 2007

Wildlife

I haven't had a chance to get out and take many pictures this last week, so it was a joy to stop and take some time to travel around this weekend. My objective was to capture a few shots of Wagner's mares and colts along with stopping by Cervi's bucking horses again. The weather threatened me a couple of times with looming clouds, but somehow managed to miss our area. During my travels, wildlife wandered across my path...or rather, I wandered across theirs.

Coyote. Pronounced many different ways and loved and hated in as many. Their name means "barking dog", but I believe it would be better suited to be called yipping dog. Each evening just about dusk and each morning just about dawn you can hear packs of them yipping and howling to reconnect with their families. Sometimes that means that our domestic dogs also join in for a harmony of howling as well. It is interesting to note that this is one of the only animals that has been extensively hunted by man, but has managed to enlarge it's territory and hunting range. They are very intelligent hunters. I was privileged to witness a coyote and a badger cooperatively hunting prairie dogs. I even managed to capture some pictures on multiple occasions about 6 years ago. (for more info - Badger & Coyote Cooperative Hunting)


They say that when you see deer or antelope with twins it is Mother Nature's prediction that we will have an easy winter. There are many mother antelope around this year with twins. I wonder if the prediction will hold true.


And here is a sneak peek at an image from Wagner's colts. They were curious and playful, then needed a nap.

4 comments:

Shana-Lynn said...

I really like the first one! So cool. What lens did you use?

Unknown said...

Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lens is what is on my camera all the time right now. I think I have only taken it off 2 times since I bought it back in the spring. I have another one that is supposed to be delivered tomorrow that is 24-70 2.8 IS. It has the image stablization in it and allows for lower light situations. I will use that one for some portraits & weddings along with wide angle work. I am exicted to play with it!

Shana-Lynn said...

Sounds awesome. Do you like the zoom lenses better than the fixed focal length lenses (giving you more options)?

I bet the new lens is pricey with the image stabilization, but so worth it!

Shana-Lynn said...

How is the new lens working out? Can't wait to see pictures.